John Wesley and the Methodist Approach to Giving
John Wesley urged constituents to “Earn all you can and save all you can, so that you can give all you can.” Throughout his life he lived modestly and gave sacrificially. Wesley always included weekly offerings in those early “Methodist” classes as an act of worship and thanksgiving to God.
At Platte Woods United Methodist Church, we are becoming committed followers of Jesus Christ and reaching beyond ourselves to share the life-changing experience of Jesus Christ. As we join hands with United Methodists around the world, we are the hands and feet of Christ to those who are starving physically, emotionally and spiritually.
Ways You Can Give
- In Worship – Place your check or cash in the offering plate as it is passed. If giving cash, pick up a contribution envelope at one of the hospitality desks.
- Automated – Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is a convenient way to give. Specify your amount, frequency and account information. Your gift will be automatically received, even when you are out of town. This is the most economical giving method for the church. Complete the ACH Form and send it in along with a voided check or deposit slip to get started.
- Online – ChurchLink is a convenient, secure system for online giving using a checking/savings or debit/credit card.
- Text – Your tithes and offerings can be given through an account you set up online when you text “PWUMC” and the amount to number 73256.
- Mail – Your gifts can be mailed to: Platte Woods United Methodist Church at 7310 NW Prairie View Road, Platte Woods, MO 64151, ATTN: Financial Manager
- Stocks/Qualified Charitable Distributions – Stock donations can be made to the church through the Missouri United Methodist Foundation. Attached are the instructions and the General Stock Transfer Instructions Form to give to your broker.
- Estate Gift – The Legacy Society has been established to provide you the opportunity to commit a gift during your lifetime that will preserve our life-changing ministry for years to come. Learn more below.
For more information, contact the church office (816-741-2972).
Platte Woods United Methodist Church’s Legacy Society (Legacy) has been established to provide you the opportunity to commit a gift during your lifetime that will preserve our life-changing ministry for generations to come. The objective of Legacy is to honor a dedicated group of members and friends of the church who have chosen to include the church in their estate plans.
Platte Woods United Methodist Church Endowments are permanent funds that are invested and supply an ongoing source of revenue. In December 2005, six endowments were established with the Missouri United Methodist Foundation. The funds are invested in moderate-risk instruments. Each January, Platte Woods UMC receives a disbursement from each of the endowments which provide a source of funding for designated ministries in the church. Following is a brief description of each of the endowments.
- Unrestricted Endowment
This endowment can be used for any purpose, from building maintenance to beginning a new ministry program. The endowment committee, along with the senior pastor and the finance committee, determine how the funds will be used.
- Marriage & Family Ministry Endowment
The Marriage & Family Ministry Endowment was established to help underwrite the family retreat, marriage mentoring, and women’s/men’s ministries opportunities.
- Youth & Young Adult Ministry Endowment
The Platte Woods United Methodist Church Endowment for Youth & Young Adults Ministry provides additional resources for youth mission trips, retreats and camp opportunities.
- Eleanor Swinney Scholarship Fund
This endowment was established to help defray some of the expenses for a Platte Woods Church member attending Central Methodist University. With college tuition on the rise, this scholarship provides educational opportunities that might not be available otherwise.
- Children’s Ministry Endowment
The Children’s Ministry Endowment helps to underwrite the activities, program costs, snacks and supplies for our children. This vital ministry sows seeds of faith in our children that will encourage and strengthen relationships with Christ.
- Missions Endowment
Through the Missions Endowment we are bring hope and encouragement to those in need. The annual disbursement helps to support missions in Mozambique, Hillcrest Ministries, More Than a Bandage, Habitat for Humanity and others.
If you would be interested in supporting one of these endowments, please contact the church office (816‑741‑2972).
Leading People to Follow Jesus.
WEEKLY WORSHIP Saturdays at 5 pm Sundays at 8:15, 9:15 and 10:45 am
7310 NW Prairie View Road Platte Woods, MO 64151 816.741.2972 firstname.lastname@example.org © 2017 All Rights Reserved.