At Platte Woods UMC we believe all people have a call placed on their hearts by God to spread the good news of God’s love in Jesus Christ and serve in response to that love. We believe the Holy Spirit empowers and gives us everything we need to accomplish wonderful, adventurous and challenging acts of mission. Our call as part of the body of Christ is to serve those in need. Come serve and seek justice with us! Below are just a few of the opportunities available through PWUMC. For more information about missions and service at PWUMC, please contact Brandi Molina, director of Missions.
Hospitality Volunteers Needed
We have a growing need for friendly faces to greet and welcome people. We want to ensure a spirit of hospitality from the parking lot attendants, Connect Desk, ushers and beyond. If you can help welcome our members and guests, please contact Julie Moise, hospitality coordinator.
Our Missions Teams serve throughout the year, receiving notifications of various opportunities and choosing those that fit your schedule. If you would like to join or learn more about any of these teams, please contact Brandi Molina, director of Missions.
- Food Team: If you have a passion for helping feed hungry people, we would love to have you as part of our team. Whether you’re interested in cooking, serving food to homeless families, stocking shelves at a food pantry, organizing food drives, advocating for better access to healthy food … whatever your interest, we invite you to join the team. You’ll receive notifications of opportunities throughout the year, and can choose the times that fit your schedule.
- Building Team: Are trips to Home Depot and Lowe’s your idea of fun? Do you enjoy seeing new projects taking shape, or fixing things that have seen better days? Are you passionate about people having safe, adequate housing? We’ll have ongoing opportunities throughout the year to assist seniors in our community, build new homes, make home repairs and more.
- Garden Team: Do you enjoy working outside? Making a yard look beautiful? Growing fresh food for others to enjoy? Helping people who can no longer work in their yards? We’re forming a new team of gardeners, landscapers, cleaner-uppers, etc. We’ll have periodic opportunities to serve throughout the year, so there’s sure to be something that will fit your schedule.
In Our Community
Iglesia de Camino
Iglesia de Camino is a primarily Hispanic church located in KCMO on Independence Avenue. In addition to the life-giving work they do through worship and Christian programming, Camino fills a critical role in the area by providing services to underserved and homeless individuals and families. PWUMC helps by providing weekly Thursday evening meals, periodic maintenance and organization projects (including work in their food and clothing pantries) and financial support. Sign up to help with an upcoming meal or if you would like to learn more about this ministry, please contact Brandi Molina, director of Missions.
Hillcrest Platte County
- What is Hillcrest?
Hillcrest is a transitional housing ministry that seeks to help families and individuals, homeless or nearly homeless, achieve self-supporting and self-reliant status. Hillcrest ministers to singles and families, and you’ll find that the residents range from people who have never learned to budget and need help with life skills to people leaving domestic violence situations and beyond. You can learn much more about Hillcrest at their website.
- PWUMC sponsors three apartments at Hillcrest. What does it mean to sponsor an apartment? Sponsorship responsibilities range from an annual donation to stocking the apartment to cleaning to working with residents.
- How can I help? There are a variety of ways you can become involved with this ministry.
- New residents move into the apartment multiple times a year. Each time, we have a team who cleans the apartment from top to bottom, making it a welcoming place for the new residents.
- Each time a new resident moves in, we stock the apartment with food and personal care items to get them started.
If you would like more information on how to get involved with this ministry, please contact Brandi Molina, director of Missions.
CarePortal is a new partnership for PWUMC in 2019. Through CarePortal, members of the church can help families and children in our community who have immediate needs. These can range from beds and other household items to financial assistance with a bill. Through their work with local caseworkers, CarePortal connects families in need with families who want to help. Visit the CarePortal site for more information about the program, and contact Brandi Molina, director of Missions, to sign up to help.
In Our World
Disaster Relief Through the UMC
In the United Methodist Church, apportionments paid by local churches pay all UMCOR administrative costs, so 100% of your donations to disaster relief go to work in communities in need. If you’d like to support disaster relief efforts in the U.S., you can write a check to PWUMC and note “US UMCOR #901670” in the memo line. If you feel called to help with disaster relief efforts overseas, write a check to PWUMC and note “International UMCOR #982450.”
Pine Ridge American Indian Reservation
Pine Ridge is one of the poorest places in the United States, with over 90% living below the poverty line and a life expectancy rate that is one of the lowest in the western hemisphere. For many years, Platte Woods UMC has been building relationships, and providing hope and encouragement. We now schedule two summer mission trips, during which we provide support for local organizations and ministries. We also connect with the people of Pine Ridge (especially children) through interactive activities, and learning about the culture and history of the Lakota people. At other times during the year, we take up collections to help fulfill needs and provide encouragement. Most notably, before “prom season” we collect donations of dresses and men’s dress clothing, and we collect school supplies before the start of the school year.
The Mission Trip for 2020 is June 20-27 with an informational meeting on Sunday, March 8 at noon. Lunch is provided with a reservation.
Prom Dress and Men’s Dress Clothing Collection: March 2020
Honduras / Guatamala
Serving the poor in developing countries in Central America has been a passion for Dr. Marty Kanne and Platte Woods UMC. Dr. Kanne has been going to Honduras and Guatemala since 1989. He and his team of Platte Woods UMC volunteers have built schools, churches, houses and other projects that establish sustaining resources. A HS youth trip to Guatemala is planned for March 2020. Please check back for more information.
A mission team from PWUMC spent a week serving in Vieques, Puerto Rico at the end of April 2019. They helped rebuild homes that were severely damaged during the hurricane.
Leading People to Follow Jesus.
Saturdays at 5 pm
Sundays at 9:30 and 11:00 am
7310 NW Prairie View Road
Platte Woods, MO 64151
© 2017 All Rights Reserved.