Monthly Service Opportunities
PWUMC has traditionally set aside the first Saturday of each month as a day to serve together. Serving together as a church is an amazing opportunity to bless others and be blessed by going out into our community to show the love of Christ in real and tangible ways. Covid-19 has changed the way we are able to serve but, that doesn’t mean we can’t continue to be the hands and feet of Christ in our community. This information page will be updated monthly with a list of our Saturday Go Serve projects as well as serve opportunities that take place at other times throughout the month.
Many of the organizations we partner with have changed their volunteer guidelines to include social distancing, wearing masks, limiting the number of volunteers, working outdoor when possible, etc. Your safety while you serve is the highest priority. If you have questions or concerns about specific volunteer locations, please contact Brandi Molina, director of Missions.
Adopt a Teacher: PWUMC is looking for individuals, families, or small groups who would like to support our local teachers by adopting them for the 2020-2021 school year. By adopting a teacher you are signing up to check in with your partner teacher throughout the year, pray for them, help to fulfill their beginning of the year classroom wish list. Please visit our sign-up page if you would like to adopt a teacher or are a teacher who wishes to be adopted.
August 1-Saturday Go Serve
If you are interested in any of the opportunities listed below, please e-mail [email protected] for more information and to sign-up.
- Lazarus Table: The meal service at Lazarus Table is currently taking place outdoors. Volunteers can help inside putting lunches together, or outside handing out lunch and cleaning chairs, making sure handwashing stations have towels, etc. It really depends on your level of comfort. This volunteer event takes place from 10:30am-1:00pm.
- Hillcrest Clearance Outlet: Volunteers will help sort and organize donations while social distancing. This service activity is from 9-12 but is flexible. Can’t stay for the entire time? Come for just an hour!
August 19- Cross-Lines Community Kitchen
PWUMC is responsible for preparing and serving lunch at Cross-Lines Community Kitchen once a month. Volunteers are asked to serve from 10am-1pm. Due to COVID-19, volunteers and one Cross-Lines staff member will be the only people in the kitchen and meals will be served to-go. Volunteer groups will be limited to no more than 4 at a time.
OTHER WAYS TO SERVE FROM HOME
- “Love, your neighbor” door hangers: Want an easy way to let your neighbors know you can help out during this time? Print one of our Love,Your Neighbor door hangers on cardstock, fill it out with your info, and hang on your neighbor’s doorknob so they know you are always just a call or text away. If you don’t have the ability to print at home, email [email protected] and we will mail them to you!
- Make face masks to donate to local organizations in need of PPE. Here are a few patterns that can be used:
- If you don’t know how to sew but still want to help, we have fabric kits that can be used to simply cut material to be passed on to our mask making teams. Email [email protected] to have a kit mailed to your home. Or, you can watch our short video on how to make mask ties out of cotton t-shirts.
- Make a short video with your cell phone about why you serve or share a special serve moment. These can be as creative or as simple as you want. Send your completed video to [email protected].
These are just a few ideas to get you started. If you know other ways PWUMC can reach our community during this time, please e-mail Brandi Molina.