Monthly Service Opportunities
PWUMC has traditionally set aside the first Saturday of each month as a day to serve together. Serving together as a church is an amazing opportunity to bless others and be blessed by going out into our community to show the love of Christ in real and tangible ways. Covid-19 has changed the way we are able to serve but, that doesn’t mean we can’t continue to be the hands and feet of Christ in our community. This information page will be updated monthly with a list of our Saturday Go Serve projects as well as serve opportunities that take place at other times throughout the month.
Many of the organizations we partner with have changed their volunteer guidelines to include social distancing, wearing masks, limiting the number of volunteers, working outdoor when possible, etc. Your safety while you serve is the highest priority. If you have questions or concerns about specific volunteer locations, please contact Brandi Molina, director of Missions.
Monthly Do Good Challenge
Each month families are given a “Do Good Challenge” as part of our Family Subscription Box. The subscription box is designed to help you and your family grow in faith and strengthen your community through acts of service!
Previous “Do Good” challenges have included making Happy Kits for Children’s Mercy Hospital, donating books for a Free Little Library project, and collecting stocking stuffers for Synergy Services.
Our January “Do Good” challenges our children and students to think about how they can be an advocate for positive change in the world by creating a vision or dream for 2021. Please visit our sign-up page to register for our January Family Subscription Box and participate.
Saturday Go Serve
February 6, 2021
If you are interested in any of the opportunities listed below, please email [email protected] for more information and to sign up.
- Lazarus Table: Volunteers can help prepare and serve lunch. This volunteer event takes place from 10:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- Hillcrest Clearance Outlet: Volunteers will help sort and organize donations while social distancing. This service activity is from 9 a.m.-12 noon but is flexible. Can’t stay for the entire time? Come for just an hour!
OTHER WAYS TO SERVE FROM HOME
- Pack sack lunches
- Write Handmade Greeting Cards to be included in Harvester’s Commodity Supplemental Food Boxes
- Learn how you can become a better neighbor with the neighboring movement by signing up for 52 Weeks of Neighboring
- “Love, your neighbor” door hangers: Want an easy way to let your neighbors know you can help out during this time? Print one of our Love,Your Neighbor door hangers on cardstock, fill it out with your info, and hang on your neighbor’s doorknob so they know you are always just a call or text away. If you don’t have the ability to print at home, email Brandi Molina and we will mail them to you!
- Make face masks to donate to local organizations in need of PPE. Here are a few patterns that can be used:
- If you don’t know how to sew but still want to help, we have fabric kits that can be used to simply cut material to be passed on to our mask making teams. Email Brandi Molina to have a kit mailed to your home, or you can watch our short video on how to make mask ties out of cotton t-shirts.
- Make a short video with your cell phone about why you serve or share a special serve moment. These can be as creative or as simple as you want. Send your completed video to Brandi Molina.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. If you know other ways PWUMC can reach our community during this time, please email Brandi Molina.