The Senior Adult Ministry (SAM) at PWUMC offers activities and programs designed with those ages 60 and over in mind. This growing population is looking for meaningful fun and fellowship as they enter retirement age and beyond, and they can find it at Platte Woods UMC!
Check out the SAM Newsletter for all the most current news about upcoming activities
New Bible Study
Crossing the Waters by Leslie Leyland Fields
January 22-March 5 at 10:00 am in room 253
Get ready for the wettest, stormiest, wildest trip through the Gospels you’ve ever taken! The Gospels are dramatic and incredibly wet, set in a rich maritime culture on the shores of the Sea of Galilee. Yet we’ve missed much of this perspective—until now.
In this 6-part series, Leslie Leyland Fields, author, speaker, and seasoned Alaskan fisherwoman takes us on a journey through the life of Christ. She leads us across the waters of time and culture out onto the Sea of Galilee, through a rugged season of commercial fishing with her family in Alaska, and through the waters of the New Testament beside the ragtag fishermen disciples. Her own story and her fresh insights will challenge our understanding of Jesus and what it means to “Come, follow me.” Sharon Briner will lead this group. Cost is $5 for curriculum. Please contact Anne Bartholow to register.
- Bimonthly Fellowship Luncheons & Games: Get together for a delicious lunch and games twice a month in an informal setting. These luncheons usually take place on Thursdays at noon.
- Brunch Out Bunch: Join other senior ladies for this monthly visit to an area restaurant. Usually meets on the third Sunday of the month after the 10:45 a.m. service.
- Retirees’ Luncheon: Each month, the Retirees meet on the third Tuesday of the month. This group might have a potluck lunch followed by a fun activity, or a guest speaker, or another fun activity.
- Bingo: If you love a good game of Bingo, you’ll want to check out the Bingo group on Wednesday afternoons.
- Mah Jongg: This ancient Chinese puzzle game will challenge your mind while you play the game with interesting people each Tuesday afternoon.
- Bridge: Meeting on Monday nights, this group is for experienced bridge players looking for a friendly game.
- Pickle Ball: Pickle Ball is a paddle sport that combines elements of badminton, tennis, and table tennis. Four players (doubles) use solid paddles to hit a ball much like a whiffle ball over the net. Pickle ball groups meet multiple times each week in our gym. Whether you’re familiar with this racquet sport or want to learn, there’s a group available that will meet your needs. A session especially for beginners meets on Tuesdays at 3:15.
- Over 50s Aerobics: Keep it moving with aerobics designed for seniors. This group focuses on a complete workout each Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9 a.m. in room 209.
- SAM Golf: SAM Golf meets on Thursdays at Shiloh Springs Golf Course in Platte City. The cost is $15 and includes a cart for 9 holes. Contact Anne Bartholow to reserve your spot and learn more.
- Organ Class: Whether you’re a veteran of the organ or have never touched a key, you’ll enjoy our keyboard classes on Thursdays at 11:15 throughout the year.
- The SAM group has a number of ongoing service opportunities, including work at The Farmer’s House, the Pillowcase Ministry and the Angel Ministry, as well as special projects throughout the year.
- Senior adults are always welcome to join any of our mission teams. To learn more about these ongoing opportunities, visit our Missions page.
Leading People to Follow Jesus.
WEEKLY WORSHIP Saturdays at 5 pm Sundays at 8, 9:15 and 10:45 am
7310 NW Prairie View Road Platte Woods, MO 64151 816.741.2972 firstname.lastname@example.org © 2017 All Rights Reserved.