The Senior Adult Ministry (SAM) at PWUMC offers activities and programs designed with those ages 60 and over in mind. This growing population is looking for meaningful fun and fellowship as they enter retirement age and beyond, and they can find it at Platte Woods UMC!
Check out the SAM Newsletter for all the most current news about upcoming activities
NEW Bible Studies
God of Creation by Jen Wilkin
Meets on Mondays at 10:00 in room 253 starting April 9
Leader- Sharon Briner
This is a 10 week session video based Bible study, you will
* cultivate a worshipful understanding of our holy, Creator-God
*Explore Genesis as the “seed plot of the Bible,” the place the redemptive story begins
*Walk verse by verse through Genesis 1-11, tracing the themes of creation, fall, redemption, and restoration
*Practice a method that will help you read any portion of Scripture with greater confidence
Please call Anne to reserve your study guide. Cost is $13.00
The Power of God’s Names by Tony Evans
Meets on Wednesdays at 6:15 in room 257, beginning April 18
In biblical times, names communicated a person’s essence-their history, nature, or character. That is why God revealed Himself by dozens of different names in Scripture. No single name could convey the fullness of His character and works. Learn the meanings of God’s names to know Him more fully and experience Him more deeply.
This 6 week session will be led by Steve and Diana Dawson on Wednesday nights. Please call Anne Bartholow (816-741-2972) to reserve a study guide. The cost is $13.00.
- Bimonthly Fellowship Luncheons & Games: Get together for a delicious lunch and games twice a month in an informal setting. These luncheons usually take place on Thursdays at noon.
- Brunch Out Bunch: Join other senior ladies for this monthly visit to an area restaurant. Usually meets on the third Sunday of the month after the 10:45 a.m. service.
- Retirees’ Luncheon: Each month, the Retirees meet on the third Tuesday of the month. This group might have a potluck lunch followed by a fun activity, or a guest speaker, or another fun activity.
- Bingo: If you love a good game of Bingo, you’ll want to check out the Bingo group on Wednesday afternoons.
- Mah Jongg: This ancient Chinese puzzle game will challenge your mind while you play the game with interesting people each Tuesday afternoon.
- Bridge: Meeting on Monday nights, this group is for experienced bridge players looking for a friendly game.
- Pickle Ball: Pickle Ball is a paddle sport that combines elements of badminton, tennis, and table tennis. Four players (doubles) use solid paddles to hit a ball much like a whiffle ball over the net. Pickle ball groups meet multiple times each week in our gym. Whether you’re familiar with this racquet sport or want to learn, there’s a group available that will meet your needs. A session especially for beginners meets on Tuesdays at 3:15.
- Over 50s Aerobics: Keep it moving with aerobics designed for seniors. This group focuses on a complete workout each Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9 a.m. in room 209.
- SAM Golf: SAM Golf meets on Thursdays at Shiloh Springs Golf Course in Platte City. The cost is $15 and includes a cart for 9 holes. Contact Anne Bartholow to reserve your spot and learn more.
- Organ Class: Whether you’re a veteran of the organ or have never touched a key, you’ll enjoy our keyboard classes on Thursdays at 11:15 throughout the year.
- SAM Singers will resume rehearsals on April 10 at 2:00 PM in the Music Suite.
- The SAM group has a number of ongoing service opportunities, including work at The Farmer’s House, the Pillowcase Ministry and the Angel Ministry, as well as special projects throughout the year.
- Senior adults are always welcome to join any of our mission teams. To learn more about these ongoing opportunities, visit our Missions page.
Leading People to Follow Jesus.
WEEKLY WORSHIP Saturdays at 5 pm Sundays at 8, 9:15 and 10:45 am
7310 NW Prairie View Road Platte Woods, MO 64151 816.741.2972 firstname.lastname@example.org © 2017 All Rights Reserved.